When your budget is tight, it’s time to make some changes in your spending habits. One way to save a few dollars is with DIY makeup ideas. Homemade beauty products can not only save money, they may be better for your skin because they don’t have harsh chemicals. And you can make as much as you need when you need it.
DIY cosmetics can include items like natural eye makeup and eye shadow. DIY lip gloss made from fruit juices is especially easy to whip up. Let’s take a look at a few DIY makeup ideas.
DIY lip gloss
Is your makeup drawer overflowing with lipstick and lip gloss? How much money is sitting there in that drawer? Here’s a recipe for making your own Homemade Lip Stain from TheBeautyDepartment.com.
- 3 blackberries
- 1 raspberry
- 3 pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- a small bowl + spoon (or mortar + pestle)
- fork to drain
- 5-gram jar with screw top from any craft store
Use the spoon to mash up the berries, and add the pomegranate juice by squeezing the seeds. Then add the olive oil and stir the mixture. Finish by draining the liquid into the jar. Keep it in the refrigerator to preserve the mixture. It will be good for several days.
Use your finger, a lip brush or a Q-tip to apply the gloss. According to the author, “You can play with the ratios of each fruit to customize your desired shade but you’ll get the most color payoff from the blackberries.”
More DIY makeup
TheDoctorsTV.com came up with more ideas for “Beauty on a Budget” complete with recipes and a video.
The list of ideas included:
- sugar & spice bronzer: combine cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder and powdered sugar in a small jar. Adjust the amounts of each ingredient to achieve the desired color.
- diet drink lip gloss: mix combine Vaseline and Crystal Light in a small container. Use the mixture immediately to exfoliate your lips or let the mixture sit for an hour until the crystals dissolve to use as a lip gloss.
- green tea eye shadow: combine green tea powder (or Matcha tea) with cocoa powder and corn starch. Use a makeup brush to apply to lids. A dab of coconut oil applied to the eyelids before applying the eye shadow will create a glossier finish.
Katie at WellnessMama.com also offered several “Homemade Makeup Recipes” that are easy and affordable.
If you like the look and feel of mineral makeup but can’t afford it, then check out this recipe for a homemade natural foundation.
According to Katie, “I start with a base of arrowroot powder (can also use cornstarch, but arrowroot works better) and then slowly add in cocoa powder and finely ground cinnamon powder until you get a shade close to your skin tone.”
The mixture will be pretty loose and powdery. If you like a more solid product then add a few drops of essential oil or vodka to the mix and tamp it down in the container.
Care for your lips
Fall and winter are just around the corner and in some parts of the country that means cold, harsh winds. Take care of your lips with “Homemade Natural Chapstick” from Lindsay at PassionateHomemaking.com.
This recipe uses all natural ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons beeswax (about 1 oz)
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons shea butter
- 12 lip balm containers & lids
- medicine dropper
- essential oil
Melt the beeswax in a small pan or crock pot using low heat. Then add the coconut oil and shea butter. Once it’s all melted you can add a few drops of essential oil if desired. Use a medicine dropper to put the mixture into your lip balm containers. Be sure to top it off as the mixture will shrink when it cools. Once the containers have completely cooled and hardened you can cover with a cap.
The supplies you will need to make and package your natural beauty products can be found at many online herb and natural cosmetics company sites.
These sites include:
- Mountain Rose Herbs
- Natures Garden Candles
- Lotion Crafter
What’s your favorite DIY makeup solution? Tell us in the comments.